Along with the Vatican, Monaco, Andorra, San Marino and Luxembourg ranks among the smallest countries in Europe and the whole world. Luxembourg is intercontinental in northwestern Europe for a country that borders Belgium to the north and west Germany to the east and south of France. Capital of Grand Duchy of Luxembourg is the town, which is located in the central southern part of the constitutional monarchy headed by Grand Duke Henri.
At 51, 24 square km capital city of Luxembourg has about 100,000 inhabitants. The percentage of lyuksemburgtsi is about 41, 58% and the remaining 58, 42% accounted respectively for Portuguese, Frenchmen, Belgians, Italians, Germans, Britons, Spaniards, having even Swedes and Yugoslavs. Luxembourg stands at about 188 km from Brussels, 289 km from Paris and 190 km from Cologne. Metz French and German town Trier is situated on both sides of Luxembourg, about 40 km.
For the first time was mentioned in historical documents in 963 years. Only in Luxembourg in 1244 acquired rights to the city. From the Middle Ages the city remained unique architectural monuments in the Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque styles. Along with the vast heritage of Luxembourg is a modern and developed financial center.
Luxembourg is one of the richest cities in the world specializing in banking and administrative work. The city is home to several institutions of the European Union, including: the European Court, European Court of Auditors and European Investment Bank. Luxembourg is one of six founding countries of the European Union. In 1999 joined the European Monetary Union.
In Luxembourg, 29 June 1886 was born Robert Schuman – French politician, Minister of Foreign Affairs of France in the period 1948-1952, the one of the fathers of the idea of European unification. He probably is the reason today in the capital are situated so many European institutions.
Often called Luxembourg‘s “Little Switzerland” probably because of the scenery and the inspiring ancient architecture. In the capital of Luxembourg merged rivers and Petrus Alzet, which divide it into two parts – Upper and Lower Luxembourg. Both parts of the rich city are connected by bridges and Adolphe Bridge Grand Duchess Charlotte.
Luxembourg Adolphe Bridge
One of the symbols of Luxembourg is precisely Adolphe bridge which was built between 1900 – 1903 like Walnut Lane Bridge in Philadelphia, USA. Indeed, the city has 111 goals bridge. Memory of former Roman presence in these lands has announced today a UNESCO monument remains in the historic center of Luxembourg. Ancient ruins of the old city of Luxembourg, called the Millennium Monument. In Upper Luxembourg can see many Gothic architecture of tall buildings and narrow towers.
Grand Ducal Palace in Luxembourg
Here you can see the most important government buildings – Grand Ducal Palace, Parliament, two-storey building in neoclassical style City Hall, which rises in the central square Place Guillaume.
Notre Dame Cathedral in Luxembourg
Notre Dame Cathedral, was built in Baroque style with Renaissance elements. Luxembourg was the first city that has twice been named European Capital of year – once in 1995 and 2007 cultural face of the city goes into museums, concert hall of the National Philharmonic Orchestra and the Conservatory. The Museum of Modern Art is housed in a building with modernist architecture, designed by the architect of the pyramid to the Louvre in Paris. It is located near the historic fortress Fort Thüngen.
You can find the full Guide and hotels in Luxembourg here: